Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Task Two Questions for 9/29/10

Task Two Questions

For my interview, I have chosen my mother as my person. She has been through a lot in her life and education was not one of her priorities. Some of the questions I am going to ask her will be, "Why did you drop out of school in the eighth grade? What kind of learning disability do you have? Why didn't you ever go back or get your GED? What did you do after you dropped out?" and "What was school like back then?" I want to get a feel for what her school was like, any teachers she liked or disliked, and if she just wanted to get a job to help my grandmother out. I would like to know if any of her brothers or sisters ever dropped out or went to college. She has mentioned that she has a learning disability, but never said what kind. I want to know if anyone tried to help her in school or just ignored her. My mother taught herself to read for the most part and became an avid reader for a long time. I don't remember her reading to me or my siblings, but that could just be because I was young . I do remember that she could never help with homework because she never understood it, which was very frustrating to her. She wanted to help her children but always passed the homework help off to my dad. I don't know if my grandfathers alcoholism problem was a contributing factor in her quitting or not but I can guarantee he didn't care when she did drop out. My mother is a very smart person, just not educated. She has lived life the hard way, without an education, and this is something she never wanted for her children.

1 comment:

  1. HI Cristina,

    You have a great focus for your paper and/or interview. I can tell right off the bat that you have many things that you could talk about.

    1) Why your mother dropped out.
    2) How she could not help you while you were in school
    3) By how dropping out it has affected her.

    I think that all of these options are great support for a writing assignment.

    Good luck!
    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete