Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Task Two Homework for Sept. 22

For Task Two I am going to interview my mother because she dropped out in the 8th grade and never went back to school. I believe she tried to get her GED at one point but never finished it. She also has a learning disability, although I am not sure exactly what it is.
I am interested in finding out what school was like back then and why she dropped out. I know she kept getting passed through classes even though she failed. I would like to ask her what her learning disability is and why she dropped out. I want to know if she ever wanted to go back to school and if she regrets dropping out in the first place.
As far as problems with writing this, I would say trying to figure out how to word the questions to get the appropriate response is going to be the hardest. I believe I will learn a lot about what my mother went through growing up and trying to get an education in a time when people didn't really acknowledge learning disabilities.
I also thought about interviewing a friend of mine that just graduated here at Missouri Western at the age of 40 with a Bachelors in Social Work. She is a single mom that has been through a lot including moving at least three times while going to school. I am also going to graduate around my 40th birthday and I believe it might help me understand what to expect while going to school myself.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cristina,

    I am very interested to see which subject you will interview for this paper. Perhaps, I would most like to hear from your mother (but don't let me influence your choice :)). It sounds like Task Two may focus solely around your mom as a HS drop out and her decision. For instance in this story, you may also discuss if and when and why she may have decided to achieve her GED. Did her disability influence her decision to drop out. Also, consider discussing the time frame that your mother went to school and the reasons why she may have dropped out (this may tell you a lot. For instance, if she was pregnant sometime in the 50s, 60s, or 70s, this would tell us a lot.).

    If you decide to write about your friend, it sounds like you may have some comparisons with her experience as a single mom and the age. If you decide to do so, your views would be shaped by your friend's experience.

    Good luck!

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete