Friday, September 24, 2010

Homework for Sept. 24th

I grew up in the tiny little town of Blue Rapids, KS where if your parents didn't have money or a business, then you were considered a nobody. I didn't have many friends, and most of the ones I thought were my friends, I later found out weren't. I couldn't find a job around there because I wasn't one of the popular kids. My mother made most of my clothes, so I got made fun of most days, but I really tried not to care. I always told myself it didn't matter what everyone thought, but inside, it hurt that those people were mean to me. As I got older though, I learned what real friends were, and I learned that I really didn't care what people thought of me. I hated that town and couldn't wait to get away from it.
When I turned 17 I got pregnant with my first child, and although it was scary, it was also one of my happiest times. I dropped out of school my senior year and got my GED the month after my daughter was born. When she was one, we moved to Missouri and I will never go back to that town other than to visit my parents. That town taught me that your real friends stick with you no matter what you are going through, or how much money you have, or what kinds of clothes you wear. I try to explain that to my children, and sometimes I think it gets through to them. But, they are teenagers and think they know it all. Blue Rapids taught me to be myself regardless of what anyone thinks, and the best friends will stay by your side no matter what.

1 comment:

  1. HI Cristina,

    Thank you for sharing.

    Unfortunately, kids can be cruel and the same is true of adults. They never seem to learn. Fortunately (hopefully), they grow up and realize that life is not a popularity contest--that even if they were Mr./Ms. Popular in HS, doesn't mean that they will be in college or life.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete