Friday, October 22, 2010

Where College Fails Us

Questions for Reflection and Writing

So far in college it has been pretty easy, but I just started. I have not had many problems other than trying to balance school, work, and having a family. Sometimes it is a little harder than I thought it would be. The kids are always complaining that they don't see me very much, which is hard for me to hear. I am always trying to find new ways to spend time with them while I study, but unfortunately they don't like to help me study. Sometimes the studying has to wait till later at night after they go to bed.
I decided to go to college to better myself and my education. I want to be an RN and possibly a Nurse Practitioner when I am finished with school. I am tired of working two jobs just to pay the bills and never being able to take my kids on vacation. I hear people talking about where they went for their vacation and I have never been able to take my kids anywhere. I want my children to be able to go to school and tell their friends what they did that summer. I also don't want to have to stress about the bills every month. I hate having to tell my kids no to going skating or bowling because we can't afford it.
I definitely believe college is worth it, including the cost and time. In the end, I think I will be very happy with my decision. I never imagined that I would be able to go to an actual college, especially at my age. But now that I have made the decision and started I couldn't be happier. The cost might change my mind after I am finished but hopefully I will be able to find a job that pays well enough that I won't have to worry to much.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cristina,

    I'm glad that you made the choice to come to college. Eventually, the process will get easier. My partner struggled during his undergraduate years as he raised two small children. He also works a part time job. Without the help of his immediate family, this would not have been possible. Many times after he would put the children to bed, he would stay up only to study. Needless, to say it is exhausting and you are doing what you can to get through and excel.

    What I would like to see in the close narration, which I do like, what similarities or differences you can include with the author's. To do so, look at what you have written and then see what the author has to say in relation to your writing. What does he/she have to say?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete